I could go deep and talk about how your childhood scars affect your decisions today. How your relationships are like mirrors into your soul or psyche, but tonight I want to keep things on the lighter side.
Once again on Friday I will find myself enjoying my third and probably the last New Kids on the Block concert. I usually take a lot of *crap* from people that I work with because being older than me, they never were into NKOTB. They think I'm crazy for spending money on the concerts or wasting my time going.
Nevertheless, I enjoy going. Why? Probably for the same reason that all of these girls are screaming....
You've probably found that within recent years many of your childhood favorites have made it back into the stores or movies:
1. Transformers
2. GI Joe
3. Smurfs
4. Nancy Drew
When MJ died, everyone I knew reminisced about their childhood memories of him or his music - at the skating rink, how they would watch him dance with a parent, how his songs affected their own dreams/goals.
Why?
Because we all love to go back to our childhood somehow and relive the good times.
Yes, we have entered that era in our lives. We might not feel like we've covered that much ground, but we have. I congratulate those of you that just realized it. :)
So, marketers are getting to us through our memories and our kids. And we buy into it because it makes us feel happy.
No one in their right mind could understand why 100's of women in their 30's are found at Denny's or Waffle House at midnight on any given night.
Only the women who as girls had the same dream - being in the same room as any of the New Kids on the Block - can relate to doing something that extreme. Only these same women would purchase ONE ticket for $500 to meet and take a picture with these guys. Only these women would find themselves searching the shelves of a mini mall for the last NKOTB doll from the 90's. http://www.twitpic.com/aaqhx
Who are we to judge? Really. I'm betting that all of us have done something to relive that same feeling or to share that feeling with our kids.
So, I ask you - what childhood memory have you bought into lately? Which ones do you crave to share with your own children or nieces or nephews?
Thank you for adding nieces and nephews! I am always on the look out for Looney Tunes (Bugs Bunny mainly) videos to share with them. Those actually go back before my time even, but they are the cartoons I remember watching. :)
ReplyDelete