Go figure. The week I come up with a great blog is the week I go back to work. I think it's because I've been more disciplined to take time to spend with God, working out and taking some time alone. This time, I know, is imperative to my growth. Imperative.
Last week, we were talking about our five year old and all the things she must learn. She's at a stage where she thinks everything revolves around her. I have to constantly remind her that it's not all about her. I make her repeat this to me often. Sometimes 5 times a day.
We are also working on how to teach her that it's ok to ask for certain things, want certain things, but to not expect those things at the drop of a hat. We remind her that she must have patience for some things and must work for other things.
When she gets the "thing" she wants, she quickly moves on to the next thing she wants. For example, she just HAD TO HAVE an ice skating party. Once that was over, the minute it was over, she started talking about what she wanted next year. *sigh* I had just hoped she would savor that moment and that day for a little longer than 5 minutes.
This didn't impact me at all until I was running one very early morning this week. I like to listen to a variety of podcasts and in this particular podcast the speaker spoke these words: " If you ask God for something and then you get it, but very quickly move on to the next thing you are praying to Him for; the thing you "need" right now, what are the chances he'll give you anything else?
It clicked.
We, as adults, have lately been acting a lot like Avery. We have fallen into a stage where we are praying for this and that and this. There are specific things that we've both prayed for that we have now and it seems that instead of savoring the exact thing we prayed for and GOT - we have moved on to the next thing we think we "deserve." I had been looking at her with a magnifying glass, but looking at myself with rose-colored glasses. How many times do we do this with the people around us? Our kids? Our "friends?"
When I began to view my prayers in the same way that I view my conversations with Avery, I laughed out loud.
Seriously. I need to stop being a "spoiled brat." Things aren't always going to go our way. Get over it. Move on. Instead of whining and asking for something more, we need to savor and sit right where we are at this moment -even if in that moment we are struggling or uncomfortable.
After all, if we aren't going to take care of and enjoy the relationships we prayed for, the house we prayed for, the child we prayed for, the job we asked for. . . why in the world would we be given anything more?
We have to get over this idea that we are "entitled" to whatever it is we pray for or think we "deserve" - it's not always about US.
That's really good stuff Tisha. Thanks for sharing it.
ReplyDeleteOh yeah.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful. Such a great post T!!!