Tuesday, August 10, 2010

It's the Wine Talking

Disclaimer: This post probably isn't as sound as it should be. I blame it on the wine. Just remember you were warned. Just don't text me or privately message me - post a FREAKING comment, please, and don't care what others think about it. :) 


I have issues with women. 


There are lots of reasons why and if you're close to me - like really close; not just pretending to be, you probably know where a lot of these issues stem from. 


Growing up I had friends. Some great ones, some okay ones, and some who probably needed to just move right along. 


But in all honesty, my best friends were guys. I would have much rather spent time hanging with guys watching football games than dealing with girl drama. 


As an adult, you tell yourself the lie that things are different. Yet, no, I'm pretty sure they're not. 


If you don't believe me, sit and watch Jersey Shore or The Real Housewives (you choose the city). 


Women drama sucks. 


And there are so many rules. I get tired head just thinking about it all. You'd think after being out of junior high or high school we'd be well past it all. Nonetheless, on a now weekly basis I find that I have to endure some sort of "girl drama." 


I try my best to be a good example to my girls and help guide them through all the nonsense handed to all of us from other females, their own sister drama included. 


I'll give you some examples: 


Someone told Avery while at a play date at our house that she was a baby for watching Barney. 


Someone told Maddie that she wasn't pretty enough for a certain boy to like her. 


Awesome friends, huh? 


I have loads of examples from my own life that I'll spare you with, but some of the things I was told as a girl AND and adult still are imprinted on my mind. That kind of stuff stays with you even if you hold your head high and move on. I like to think that it makes us stronger - but only if we let it. 


I get extremely frustrated with the whole "friend" thing.  I'm not even going to go into it because I'll probably say something I regret and not be able to take it back. Hmmm.....even with wine I have a conscious. 


I posted this on FB this week: "Lesson # 1,150 with the girls: Don't let others steal your joy. People can be mean, cruel, 2 faced, spiteful, and down right evil. Yes, even as adults. Don't give them that power. They don't deserve it! I don't know about you but I keep an extra smile in my pocket for those people who find & cause drama 24/7. :)"


6 comments and 13 likings. I guess I'm not alone, huh? 


No, this blog isn't giving them the power. I like to think that maybe I'm calling them out. Some of them might even be reading this. I hope they are. 

Bottom line: I'm going to treat you with respect, probably even if you don't give it back. I'm going to keep whatever you tell me in confidence, because I know how it feels to tell one person something and have 30 know by the end of the day. I'm going to return your call, your email, your text, as soon as I can even if to just acknowledge that I got it and will respond when I get more time. I'm not going to tell you something I don't mean. I'm not going to talk about you behind your back. If I want to know something, I'll ask. If I have an issue, I'll come to you first. I'm not going to take my animosity of a situation out on you. I'm not going to kiss your *** to get ahead.  I'm not going to invest my time with you if I don't believe you're worth it. 

I'd love to have some of the above reciprocated, but it seems at this point in my life, I'm still trying to decipher the secret code of women and friendships. It obviously doesn't work how I thought. 

And, basically, I just give up on all that. It wears me out and I'm done wasting any energy on that "game." 

10 comments:

  1. I love this! And as a Mom with 4 girls, I understand how truly important it is to teach our girls better. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you say exactly what we think but are afraid to say! I love ya TJP! --JL

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog makes me sad :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this more than I could ever tell you & I think (for whatever it is) that you are 100% right!!! I have thought EVERYTHING you have said & it is so very sad to me that this exists! And although on fB I may have X amount of friends, I truly only have a handful of REAL friends that as you said know me & the real me, that hurts, has been hurt, and who continues to do & do for others. It's who I am and wouldn't be me if I didn't...I wish we lived closer b/c we would most def be great friends! And sounds like we are going through sames things many miles away! Way to speak your heart! Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just laughed when I read your disclaimer.

    I'm so thankful that I have a drama free zone life from women. Been there, done that and I don't need it. I'm thankful for my real girl friends, who are real enough not to bring that to my life. I'm saying this after 1 1/2 Cheladas (1/2 beer, 1/2 tomato juice) but I'd say it without a chelada too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tisha- are you my soul mate? I sooo wish I get a chance to really meet you someday. I have had the same issues with girls/women. That's probably why I have only a few friends. I feel for your little ones! A girl once told me in junior high in front of everyone, "You're starting to get pimples and they don't look good." I will NEVER forget how embarrassed I was that day. :( Mean girls SUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, I didn't think I could have any more respect for you until I read this. You are absolutely, positively RIGHT on all accounts! I LOVE that you have that balls to call people out for their BS. In short, you Tisha, have become my Hero of the Week. Bravo girl, and I cannot wait to read my roommate this post. This is something she needs to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can definitely see where you're coming from, you probably get more girl-drama than most being in the line of work you are in. But something I've noticed over the past few years is that the same bullshit drama can just as easily come from men/boys, as from women. My son has been at the receiving end of the clothing criticism resulting in us giving away several shirts/toys because some little shit at pre-school called him a baby for liking these things, (I'm a little sensitive can ya tell ;) I also hear similar comments from my hubby about how men treat and inter-act with him, that can relate to this post exactly. It seems to me, that insecurity is not just limited to the ladies. I think those that are not quite as comfortable in their own skin as you and I, need to make others feel as bad as they do, subconsciously of course. I'm guessing the children who called our children 'babies', were called the exact same thing for the exact same reasons. :( (which makes me feel a little guilty for calling this unknown kid a little shit.....but just a little...I'm past it) Now mind you, I'd still much rather work for a male boss than a female boss for pretty much all the reasons you listed above. But insecurity and low self-esteem make people act and react in very hurtful ways. Don't take it to heart, it's about them after all, not you. ;))))) XOXOXO, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seriously. I won't go into the details of MY situation, but SERIOUSLY.

    ReplyDelete