Sunday, March 27, 2011

Did Teachers Impact You?

I've covered this topic before but in a much lighter tone. I'm sure you've all had a teacher impact your life in some positive way. 


Unless you've been living under a rock in a deep, dark hole, you know that there is a education crisis in our nation. 


Budgets are getting cut, teachers are being laid off, and some schools are closing. Is this not at the great expense of our students? Our own children? These acts, I'm confident, will cause more issues for our future besides finances. 


I know that had I not had some teachers and school employees in my own life, I would've taken a much darker path than I have. Thanks going out to Mrs. Elam, Mrs. Turner, Mr. Cates, Ms. Terrie Hawkins, Mr. Hindman, and Mrs. Wrenn. 


Had they not influenced me, I would not had the opportunity to influence my own group of students later in life. 


As I stay connected with fellow teachers and technology education guru's, I see the same thing happening over and over. Some of my closest friends are being affected by this decision from legislators. 


I would like to share with you just one friend's account of her experience. 


Please click over to her blog and read Andrea's experience with recent teacher cuts. 


She writes very candidly and her suggestion of writing an email right now to a teacher you know encouraging them in their journey to educate our kids despite all of the turmoil will be HUGE. 


Are you wiling to take a few minutes out of your day and choose a teacher to encourage with a few words of thanks and appreciation? 

1 comment:

  1. Well said Tisha!! If I didn't have some of the teachers that I had while in school, I would have never decided to become a teacher myself. And being a recent college graduate I am seeing just how hard it is to get a job as a teacher!

    ReplyDelete