Sunday, February 28, 2010

What? Pregnancy Lasts 10 months?!?

37 weeks. Yep. I've made it that long. When you think that pregnancy last about 10 months, knowing that I'm literally days away from meeting my new little man, seems surreal. 

It is an exciting time in our house, but the anxieties are closing in on all of us. We've discussed the "what ifs," the "what are you most excited about", the "what are you most nervous about," and we have everything ready to go at a moments notice. 

We spent this weekend doing family things: going to a movie, going to lunch, going to the mall. . . All of us aware that it could very well be our last time doing those things just the four of us. 

I will say that being in public in general is very annoying at this point. I'm not sure what happens to people when they breathe the same air as 9 month pregnant ladies, but something odd happens. Their brains sort of become paralyzed, I think. 

At the beginning of my pregnancy, I found a Due in March message board that I frequented a lot to refresh my memory about all the pains and joys of pregnancy. It's nice to be able to go to a place and read what other people are going through at the same time. 

Some of the things that I've enjoyed reading is how many of the ladies are just as annoyed about the same things as I have been. Here's a What to Do and What NOT to Do List for those of you that maybe "forget" how to socially interact with people like "us." (all in good fun, so don't take it personal) I've gathered things from my own experiences as well as those that I have read: 


What NOT to SAY/DO: 
1. Do not call or text every few hours asking how they are feeling. Assume that they are in pain most of the time and ready to be comfortable again. We know you mean well, but . . . 
2. Do not say "Wow. You're still pregnant?" Think it. Don't SAY it. 
3. Do not ask "How's your fat?" Seriously. Would you say this to anyone who was overweight? 
4. Do not think that the "belly" is public domain. You do NOT have a right to touch just because it's out there. 
5. Do not ask a zillion times "When is your due date again?" If you don't remember just ask which month we're "shooting" for......
6. Do not say "It must be any day now." You may think this is comforting, but not for the lady that knows she still has WEEKS left. 
7. Never, ever say "You are HUGE!" Why would you do that to ANYONE? Really. Do pregnant ladies not have the same insecurities are normal people?! 
8. Don't leave an interaction by saying "Good luck with that" while pointing to the belly. Don't add "I mean that in a good way." 
9. Don't act like we don't exist when you are entering a store and let the door slam in our face.
10. Don't ask us if we know when baby will be here unless we have a scheduled section or induction. We don't know. You know as much as we do. We look ready to you? Imagine how we feel. . . .


What to Do/Say
1. Do say that said pregnant lady looks great. (even if you're LYING)
2. Do send "I'm thinking of you messages." It is nice to know 
3. Do ask to touch "the belly." Chances are most will let you - just ASK. 
4. Do talk to us about normal things. We don't necessarily need to talk about everything baby at this point. Ask us about normal things like dinner, movies, music, work. . . 
5. Do hold doors open for us. Do stop while we attempt crossing the street. We KNOW you KNOW we're obviously pregnant at this point. 
6. Do remember what your mother said about staring at people - especially 9 month pregnant people. 
7. Do offer your seat if you see us standing up waiting for a table or at the mall. 
8. Do feel free to tell funny (FUNNY not SCARY) stories of your birth experiences. 
9. Do know that even though this is the happiest time in our lives, we still have depressing days where we've cried all day. 
10. Do assume that we will call you the minute something is "happening." :) 

4 comments: