I just discovered this show on A&E called Hoarders.
I admittedly sat for several hours one day watching episodes. It was like a train wreck. I couldn't look away. Though, ironically, the people on this show were so used to looking away at the problem, it was now ruining their lives.
Hoarders
I think that as a people all need to take time to stop and do inventory on ourselves and our lives. Whether it be food, finances, drugs, alcohol, work, socializing, gossiping, shopping, trash, or just "stuff"... many of us are hoarders whether we admit it or not.
I've come to the conclusion after talking to several friends this month that we need to do what these professionals help the hoarders do: take inventory, decide what we need to hang on to or keep doing, and make a 3 separate piles: keep, give away, TRASH.
If we don't take spiritual, mental and physical inventory, things can become overwhelming.
It seems that so many of the people featured on this show were buying stuff and keeping stuff in order to fill a void. Like so many addictions, it seems this was no different.
********************
For the past week, the girls and I have been cleaning. Not just the normal stuff, but cleaning out closets, drawers, buckets, bags. If it hasn't been touched, we touched it this week.
Partly, I was making up for the past year. I just didn't feel like messing with any of the stuff. Being pg made me tired, so I put it off. And off. And off. It wasn't horrible. Not like Hoarders, but it did take a lot of time.
There was one particular corner that I had been putting off. Documents, mail, papers, loads of pictures AKA reminders of the past. It had been in the same pile for a few years, tucked behind something larger so I could hide it. Every day, though, when I looked that direction, I was reminded of what was there. Of the past. Ugh. Dealing with the past, though, is always necessary in order to leave it behind.
So last week, I sat down for several hours and went through it all. The girls did this with me and we talked a lot about abundance, having too much, and what others might not have.
How liberating it was to TOSS out the old stuff, To GIVE AWAY the things we no longer needed, and to realize what was important enough to KEEP.
********************
I think we must also take time to do this with our refrigerators, pantries, minds, hearts, and souls.
People must be able to decide which of their thoughts they should keep, give away, and throw out. I'm no exception. Lately I've learned that I have to be very careful about things I've been told in the past and most recently. Some of the things were hurtful, heartbreaking and disappointing. Some of the things were truth, some were told with the greatest intentions, some were told in love.
For me, all of it gets jumbled together and starts collecting in a little corner of my mind. At least once a day I need to sort things out so that I can start fresh again the next day.
********************
Women, most importantly, need to do this as their daily jobs as mom, wife, and homemaker can really interfere with this process.
I'm hoping to teach my girls to do this at least twice a year even into their adulthood.
I'm hoping to teach them that others may have more STUFF, but it doesn't always bring happiness.
I'm hoping to teach them when things are overflowing, they have too much STUFF. It's time to purge.
I'm hoping to teach them that STUFF doesn't fill holes, heal wounds, or help their self worth.
I'm hoping to teach them now so that they are able to do it as habit later.
"Clear your mind must be, if you are to discover the real villains behind this plot." ~Frank Oz
Edited to Add: A very special friend reminded me of a great site that helps with organization/cleaning/motivation. You might want to check it out if you haven't yet.
FLY LADY
Beautiful, touching post. I love that you looked at it from many levels.
ReplyDeleteHugs to you, my friend! Have a great 4th!