The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it.
~James Bryce
I love it when my blog readers actually request that I write about something! It takes the pressure off or coming up with my own topic! :) (Thank you anonymous requester!)
I got a surprise email this morning that said this:
"I would love to know your top ten list of books that inspired you or somehow made a difference in your life. I'm sure other people would love to know to, hopefully help inspire them."
Wow. What a great request. Ironically, right after reading this I was packing up boxes for my new office and ran across a ton of books that I've collected through college and teaching HS.
So, in no particular order I will list the books that have impacted me, inspired me, and shaped me to be who I am today. My hope is that I can share all of these books with my children someday and that the stories will tug at their hearts just as they did mine.
1. Are You There God? It's Me Margaret. - Judy Blume
I recall being in 4th or 5th grade when I first read this book. Blume's candidness about pre-teen girls was something that I craved yet didn't know I did. This is where I learned a lot about a life that I didn't know yet. I've already shared this jewel read with my own 10 year old and she loved it just as much!
2. Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
I knew from a young age that I had a unique love for reading. I knew that I enjoyed literature and if I could've taken English and only concentrated on the literature portion, I would've been in heaven. Sophomore year was in my first honors class and can still to this day envision Mr. Chappell reading to us and with us. His love of literature and this book, make ME love the story of two men down on their luck. Years later, I found myself actually getting to teach this book to my own sophomore class. :)
3. To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Freshman year. I fell in love with the story about a young girl, Scout, and her brother, Jem. I got caught up in their mischief, curiosity and lessons about life. I dove into this story and didn't come out until I was finished. The movie is just as good and is definitely something everyone should see or read in their lifetime.
4. Our Town - Thornton Wilder
Another HS favorite. I truly related to Emily and her young perspective on life and not taking anything for granted. After losing my brother at a young age, I'd already learned this lesson, but this story was a reinforcement of that lesson and it hit me hard. A few years after reading it, I was an "extra" for the school production and still have great memories of those rehearsals.
5. Conversations with God - Neale Donald Walsch
This is one of my favorite books because it goes against a lot of what I was taught. I like to read - everything. Even if people that were friends or family would have harsh things to say about what this book contained. I read all three volumes in a matter of days and came up grasping for more. It made me think outside of that "this is what's normal to believe" box.
6. The Purpose Driven Life - Rick Warren
Everyone and everyone should read this 40 days of finding your purpose. I read it alone, with someone, and then volunteered to be the leader of a group study. It touched my heart that much. It helped me think through many of the trials and struggles in my life and make peace with them.
7. Simple Abundance -Sara Ban Breathnach
I'm doing a 365 brief study of this book now (find it here). It is my second time to go through the book in the last 10 years. It forces you to really take a look at yourself, your likes, dislikes, beliefs, dreams, and priorities. The main thought is gratitude. You keep a gratitude journal, create a "dream" board, and do numerous other challenges as you discover the you that is not mom/wife. A must read for all women.
8. Love Dare - Kendrick & Kendrick
The idea stemmed from the book and movie Fireproof. If you haven't read or seen either - do. it. now. I don't care if you're married or single. You must take time to watch this. Jason and I have done a version of it and honestly nothing but good can come out of you trying it at least once.
9. A New Earth - Eckhart Tolle
Another controversial (in organized religion community) book. I reaped HUGE benefits from reading this book. It took me to a whole different realm of living, breathing, and being. It also, healed wounds and brought me to a better realization of different situations I've experienced in life. I keep it in my car, even now, to do a quick read while waiting to pick up kids, if I'm having a rough day, or just need a new perspective.
10. The Shack - William P. Young
There are no words. Really. I avoided this book like the plague b/c I knew a little of what the story line was. But, alas, just as God did with When God Winks, He put that book directly in my path over and over and over until I gave in and read. I couldn't stop. I read and read and read. I had no idea how it would take me on such a raw emotional journey. I didn't anticipate the sobs and deep hurt. I also didn't anticipate the healing and the understanding I would have at the end.
No comments:
Post a Comment