"Tell me more about the 40 day thing....you know it is never to late to start new."
"What is this 40 days of Gratitude? I really like it, but where did you get the idea?"
"Gratitude really is contagious! Another of my FB friends loves the 40 days, so I invited her along too!"
"How did u stumble upon this 40 days of thankfullness? can i join u?"
"I love this, so i'm gunna join u!"
"I'm interested in 40 days of thanks! Can you give me info on it?"
"Ps - May steal this idea! Love it!"
...mind if I steal it?"
*******************************************
When I began this 40 Days of Thankfulness/Gratitude, I honestly, did it mostly for me. I knew that, personally, I needed to focus on the positives in my life even during the frustration, struggle, tribulation, loss, and uncertainty.
I knew that if I sent out negative energy all I was doing was creating more negative energy. I know better than that even on a social networking site. I know the power of thought and prayer. It's worked so many times in my life for both the things I wanted/needed and for the things I was trying to keep at a distance. So, I tried to think of something that would impact my life, but also be a positive for others.
I had no idea what I was starting, really. After Day 3 or 4, I began getting messages and requests to repost my note. Several friends had friends who wanted to join or who wanted to know what it was about. Of course, this entire 40 Days idea has not been about me but for me. If others were getting something out of it, too, then great! :) I was/am happy to share my note and idea with anyone and everyone who wants to join in on the concept.
Today and yesterday I noticed a boom in people who wanted to join - friends of friends of friends.
I love reading how excited people are about being thankful. I don't know about you but I seriously get enough negativity during the day at work or in other ventures. I don't need to think up more negative or read about it as soon as I log onto Facebook. Don't get me wrong, we all have the occasional vent, but when we find ourselves doing it daily, it obviously becomes a habit.
So why 40 days you ask?
Well, it is no secret that I'm spiritual and have a relationship with God/Jesus. 40 days wasn't something I really noticed until I did a bible study once and it lasted 40 days. After that, earlier this year I began fasting for 40 days. Both times, the 40 days seemed to be a huge commitment, but afterwards, I felt so rewarded and changed. It became a habit and a way of life; something I began to continue even after the 40 days was over. I had cleansed my heart, soul, mind and body. Truly what goes in, comes out, wouldn't you agree? So, 40 Days. But does it end then? I sure hope not! Ironically, my 40 days will come to an end the week of Thanksgiving. Truly amazing, since I didn't plan it out at all.
Why Facebook or other social networking sites?
I've said it before - these sites are astoundingly famous for being able to send information out in such a quick manner. Within the hour we knew that Patrick Swazye had died or who was winning the VMAs.
Why not use it as an "outlet" as someone above describes? Facebook is an outlet. After all, we all love telling what we're up to during our day. And even more so, whether we admit it or not we love the ability to go and see what others are doing without them knowing it. It's a fascination that our society has developed in the past 10 years or so. I think using this power for positivity is a wonderful tool to help change the world and be a leader.
Should we only post status' of our thankfulness?
I do, but that's just me. If I am only posting the gratitude list in my life, then I'm continually focusing on that gratitude. Not everyone does this. Many that have joined are doing their 40 days and then later in the day still posting other things. I think that as long as we are focused on being thankful, positive and showing gratitude then the purpose is being fulfilled. But if we stray from that and let those negative thoughts or vents out, we are more likely to fall back into that pattern of comfort.
I'm not saying I don't want to post those things. I find myself, especially from Day 5 - Day 9 wanting to post about the discomfort of pregnancy, that I had to pay $70 for an appointment that I didn't make, or that I broke my favorite olive oil container. But I hesitated and remembered my goal - changing my way of thinking.
****************************
I don't know how far this idea will go or if anymore people will decide to join with us.
I don't know if some will shy away from it because they think they already have enough gratitude in their lives. (is there really such a thing as too much?)
I don't know if all those who have joined will be up for withstanding the commitment, but . . .
I do know that no matter what - some people are getting in the habit of recognizing their blessings more often and in doing so may be telling those people who didn't know how important they were just how life would not be the same without them!
I love it.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy celebrating gratitude during this time of year especially with Thanksgiving coming up. I've hosted my own 'gratitude parties' where I've handed out gratitude journals to my party guests and had everyone write out things they were grateful for. Your idea just resonated with me!
And now, since I will be turning 40 in a few months (and many of my friends have too), I too see another significance in the number '40'.
Thanks girl. You've inspired a revolution! :)
Very well said, Tisha. I told my roommate that my friend Tisha has started a revolution. When I explained it to her, she loved the idea. I know several people who text message, but who do not get online. I'm starting the 40 Days revolution on txt msg now. We'll see how that catches on. Whatever the medium, it's gratitude and positivity flowing from one person to another. You, my friend, are one of Spirit's finest!
ReplyDelete