Monday, October 12, 2009

What We Need When We Need It

I often write about how God usually sends us what we need at the exact time we need it. 
********************
Friday was a very emotional day. Not only was I worried about Madison, so sleep deprived, and missing Avery, but a friend of mine lost her husband after being ill with the flu and developing other complications. I worked with this friend back while I was in college, when their oldest child was just a baby. Although, I never got to spend a lot of one on one time with them, I so enjoyed working with her. She had a great attitude, bright smile and positive outlook on life. 


So many from my hometown had gathered either physically or wirelessly to join in prayer for their entire family. I worried for them, but prayed more. My previous post has a bit to do with what I was thinking last week while checking Facebook often to see if prayers had been answered. Unfortunately, Friday afternoon I got word that things had gone from bad to worse. 


I hid my emotions from Madison, but around 4 pm, Jason came to the hospital to relieve me. I got in the car, turned on my iPod, and cried during the 40 minute drive home for a shower. I so remember that raw emotion of those first few days. I've written many times about my experience, but have saved most of my writing for the in-progress book that I'm hoping to have published someday. 


The next day we got the good news that Maddie could go home. So, with Jason working and Avery not home, Madison and I sat down to watch a movie called Faith Like Potatoes. I've heard good things about it and was excited to just chill, relax, and enjoy time resting. 


I did good until about 3/4 of the way through the movie. Not so good. Why did that scene have to be in that movie at the exact time that I just wanted to forget the week? That scene gave me horrible flashbacks to the very day we lost my brother. 


Needless to say, I was in tears and not hiding it from Maddie anymore. Just in typical Maddie fashion, she creeped over toward me, started rubbing my hair, and said "It's ok momma." She knew I was sad about friend, she knew why I reacted as I did to the movie, and she knew the lack of sleep we have all been dealing with for 2 weeks. We ended up finishing the movie, and although it's really a great movie, I doubt I will be watching it again "for fun." 
*******************************************
This morning I was having to motivate myself to get up and get ready for work. But we all made it out the door on time! 


I had a long day of training ahead of me and was just glad I didn't have to teach! 


As I rounded the corner to the computer lab, I caught a glimpse of one of my favorite people ever. I've written about this family before after losing their daughter. I had the oldest son during my very first year of teaching and now, ironically enough, I work with him. I have always loved his family, but after their ordeal, I grew to admire them more than they even know. So, this mom has subbed as a nurse before and the last time I ran into her, was a time when I really needed to see her. 


Today was no different. I shared with her my weeks events and how I just wanted to relax on Saturday. She shared with me that the same thing happened with her when she tried to watch the movie Fireproof and one of the first scenes from that movie. Boy, did I ever understand that. 


She is such a strong, Christian woman who has shown the greatest of strength at the most difficult of times. Her presence alone just makes you feel all warm inside. And every time I see and talk to her, I remember my own strength and what an abundant life I have. I truly can only hope that I can bless someone's life the way that she has done for so many. 


And yet again God sent me exactly what I needed at the exact time I needed it. 

2 comments:

  1. Don't you love it when that happens?

    Glad Maddie's feeling better. Big hugs girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just watch that movie. Cried with you. Love you and glad things are better all around!

    ReplyDelete