Monday, September 6, 2010

God Winks Give Away

I'm thrilled that I get the opportunity to write this blog and even more thrilled that my friend and author, SQuire Rushnell, has agreed to help me out and let me give away his book entitled When God Winks at You. 






One of my favorite life experiences is the one I've had with God Winks. 


I came across the original book, When God Winks, in 2005. I was browsing at Barnes and Noble and came across the book, picked it up carried it through the store, put it down and then came across it again. Coincidence? Most probably a God Wink in itself. 


Definition: What is a God Wink? How Can God Winks help us? How can we "map" God Winks of our past?


I read the book cover to cover in one day. I fell in love with the stories, the people, and the heartwarming feeling that each "wink" brought. 


The next summer, I accidentally came across SQuire Rushnell's website and noticed that he was asking for submitted stories. After reading the first book, I'd realized that I, myself, had many God Winks in my life. Here's the exact one I submitted to him: 


As an early college student looking for my path, I realized I wanted to truly pursue teaching. I was undecided on which university to transfer to, but with the help of my high school math teacher, Steve Cates, I decided to go to Lubbock Christian University and finish up my student teaching there. Upon this decision, I realized that many did not support this decision, but as always when I felt led to do something, I continued to press on. 


Days came and went and I filled out all the necessary paperwork - financial aid and dorm room. I had requested to NOT be roomed with anyone. As a junior transfer, I didn't see what I could have in common with mere "freshman." ;) 


Move in day approached and I was disturbed by the fact that I had been matched up to room with someone named "Kim." I was anxious about sharing a room with someone, anxious about going to a new school, anxious about leaving family and a long-time boyfriend. 


I will never forget meeting Kim. She was a cute, spunky, petite girl. She asked where I was from and I told her "_____, Texas" and she said "Maybe you know my brother in law who lives there." 


Steve Cates, my high school math teacher years before and mentor as I began my substitute teaching career. 


I know for a FACT he had no part in any of that. I'm 100% sure he never mentioned me at all to her. And the rest as they say is history. Well, not really. 


3 years after meeting Kim, my oldest daughter Madison was born. December 14th. Kim's birthday. 


I could not believe he contacted me after I sent in my story. I could not believe we were able to chat via phone and that he sent me my story in his words. Even more so I could not believe he picked one of my stories to be in one of HIS books! :) 


The year that his new book hit the market, I was able to meet him in person finally, as well as his dear wife, Louise DuArt


Truly, if you had time, I could sit with you and tell you of many more "God Winks" that have occurred in my life. Over and over again they pop up and especially if I'm truly conscious and present of each event, person, and opportunity in my life. 


So, friends, I ask you: What God Winks have you had in your life? What story are you willing to share here? 


To win SQuire's book, When God Winks on You, you must be a follower of this blog and must comment your best "God Wink" story! 


Cannot wait to read your comments and stories! If you'd like, you can find SQuire on Twitter and Facebook. 


I will pick and post the winner next Tuesday, so post your stories NOW! :) 


As SQuire always says, "Wishes and Winks,"

post signature

10 comments:

  1. I was thinking about you and Kim the other day, and you two could not have been more perfect for each other. You were both the cleanest people I've ever met in my life! :) I've never laughed harder than in Kim's presence.

    Okay, so most importantly, how long do we have to post our story?? I'm going to have to think on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very early in my 2nd school in YWAM Colorado Springs, I came face to face with the fact that my personal dreams and desires for a future husband were severely getting in the way of God's plan for me. I was totally and completely focussed on finding THE ONE, and I had a list with all the qualities that were non-negotiable. I was struggling so much with the whole thing, looking at every guy as a potential until I found the flaw that made him unworthy.

    Finally one afternoon, while alone in my room, the Father asked me to retire my list, and put my trust in Him. I told Him I didn't believe that He would give me what I wanted. He told me "I won't. I'll give you what you need." With much pain and many tears, I surrendered my list to the Father, expecting it to be years before I was ever blessed with a husband. I mean, I was in YWAM! Do you know how many single (middle aged) women there are in YWAM? Yeah. Lots.

    Three days later, friends and I were invited to a birthday party for someone we didn't know. Two of us (me and a 16 year old kid named Craig) were adamant that we didn't want to attend, or crash the party of some stranger. But neither of us were driving, and the girl who was, had a serious crush on the guy who'd invited us. So, we ended up going. As soon as we walked in, the 16 year old cried out "ROCKY?" and an attractive guy across the room screwed up his face and said "CRAIG?" Craig had been in this "Rocky's" youth group back in Fort Worth, TX, and here they both were, totally randomly, in Colorado Springs, CO. It was slightly surreal as they reconnected, and we were all introduced. Through the course of the evening, Rocky drew my attention more and more, and eventually we began hanging out, dating, and exactly one year after we met, we were married, on the Colorado College campus.

    If I, or Craig had whined enough that night, and not gone to the party, I would have missed out on a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not having read the book, I don't know if God winks are supposed to be happy or not, but here's mine. I don't really even know if this qualifies, but it seems more than coincidence.

    In July 1998, I ordered a new cell phone over the phone. My parents were putting it on their credit card (with a Seminole billing address), but the phone was to be sent to my college address in San Marcos. Before ending the phone call, I had the rep repeat both the billing address and the shipping address just to be sure the phone would be sent to the right place. Everything was correct, but sure enough, a couple of weeks later, the phone arrived at my parents' house. I was irritated, but my dad (who was a pilot) offered to fly it down to me. He flew to San Marcos on July 26th, delivered the phone, and took my sister and I to lunch. Afterward, he flew on down to Uvalde where my mother was visiting her parents and stayed for two or three days. The following Friday, July 31st, my dad was killed when his plane crashed. Had it not been for that phone being shipped to the wrong address, my sister, mother, grandparents, and I would not have seen him that one last time.

    Here's another related series of coincidences. My parents' street address in Seminole is 601, and Dad died in the 7th month. The last four digits of the number for that mis-sent cell phone were 7601. The last four digits of the checking account I opened a year later, and still have, are 7601. The garage code at the first home my husband and I bought was 7601 when we moved in. The garage code for the home we now live in ended in 601 when we moved in. I had no hand in choosing any of those numbers. I like to think of it as just another little reminder that dad's still around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sending mine via facebook. It says it's too long to put on here! LOL I don't mind anyone reading it, I just can't find a way to shorten it right now due to the lack of time. Anyway, what a great idea! I'd love to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A couple months ago I was explaining the power of prayer to my stepson. I told him numerous stories of answered prayers in my life. I told him about praying for my dog to come home after he had been stolen. (Yes, he came home). I told him about the morning I said to my mom "I've spent $1000 on medication and first aid supplies and I don't know how I am going to make my van payment" I went to work that day and was handed a check for $1000 from a co-worker I barely knew. But the GOD WINK? While I was telling him this, I missed my exit and had to turn around. Then I caught the red light. I looked up and read the sign at the restaurant we were sitting next to. "PRAYER WORKS. PAPA IS HOME!!" There's no way that timing was coincidence! I pointed it out to my stepson and said "see?!?!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought of it as God winks...just merely His presence being there...My paternal grandparents lived 3000 miles away in NJ my whole life and I loved them so very much. We spent our summers there with them, and we always really just missed them, so when my grandpop died suddenly when I was in 8th grade, I was heart broken and so mad b/c I didn't get to say goodbye. So fast forward 3 years, and it is my 17th b-day...I had my own phone line and my grandmom had called and sang me happy birthday on my answering machine and I thought I had erased it days later. Well, 2 days later, my phone rings, and I miss the call and on my answering machine, it is my grandmom telling me she loves me, etc, so even though I had talked to her on my b-day, I call her back and we laugh and talk and pass the phone around to everyone else in the family, and wouldn't you know 2 days later she died...crazy thing was she had never called, and had my answering machine not have played that message, I probably wouldn't have called that day and wouldn't have been able to say goodbye, even though I had no idea at the time that's what I was doing. I think this was God Winking at us and giving us that chance to say goodbye and as hard as it was, I will never ever forget that wonderful memory He gave us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A few months after I moved to Dallas, I decided to visit a single's class at Prestonwood Baptist Church. On this particular morning, it was sleeting and snowing, but I went on to church. Then my car started acting up as I was driving to church. As soon as I got in the parking lot, and in an actual spot, my alternator died. I knew then that God wanted me there at that church that day because it waited until I was safely parked to die.

    I was concerned about my car and how I would fix it since I didn't really know many people in the area. I was debating on whether or not I should still go to the Singles class which I had heard so much about. I decided to go ahead and visit the class. After class, the Bible study teacher's wife asked me if I was okay because I looked concerned. I explained to her that my car was dead in the cold parking lot, and I didn't know who to contact. That's when the Bible study teacher (Tom) and his wife (Brenda) drove me home. During that drive, a friendship was formed. Tom and Brenda were from Amarillo, so we shared stories about West Texas and the Texas Panhandle, etc. Tom also taught a weekly Bible study class in his home. So, I began attending that as well as his Sunday Bible study. Tom and Brenda blessed me in ways I cannot even describe! Tom would listen to me, pray for me and with me, and just lift me up when I needed it. He would also tell me when I was doing foolish things.

    God suddenly called Tom home in April of 2007. But I know if my car would not have died in the Prestonwood parking lot, then I would quite possibly never have formed the friendships with Tom and Brenda.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, we will try it this way....it's too long!

    Many years ago I had an experience that was truly horrible for a child. It involved the loss of innocence by a man who blamed all of his actions on being bipolar schizophrenic. Since then, I felt nothing but contempt for anyone with a mental health label like that. Years later, I found myself being introduced by a friend to a woman who would end up changing my life in ways I still don't think she knows.

    My friend "Kay" called and asked if my mom and I wanted to go to her home and have dinner with her and a friend of hers who was visiting from Mississippi. Well, why not? We had a nice time, and discovered that we all had many things in common. One of which was tragedy, and the strength to over come it. That night I had made a new friend, who would soon become a person, who despite my many efforts to thwart her becoming an important person in my life, would teach me about the true meaning of forgiveness and compassion.

    Brenda told me a story about her husband who had died in 1997. With her permission, I am telling you now. She said that she felt compelled that night to divulge her dark secret, because she felt she could trust me. Her husband was a Vietnam Vet who had been exposed to deadly agents, and had seen horrific events during his time in the service. After not receiving the help he needed for pain due to brain cancer and other various health problems, he snapped. He went into the Veterans Hospital near his home, shot and killed his doctor, then turned the gun on himself. Brenda was left with a young grieving daughter, her own grief, and the pain of the many unanswered questions. She was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and later with bipolar due to the trauma of her husbands death.

    Despite my rejections and protests, we became friends. Our lives mirrored each other in ways that are baffling. However, we cannot be more different. Brenda and I have been through many many ups and downs in the 9 years we have been friends. She has seen me through some of the darkest times in my life, after loosing my grandparents within a month of one another, raising my baby brother for a time, the pain of fibromyalgia and celiac disease, etc… I’ve seen her through bipolar states of mania, depression, people taking advantage of her in the worst ways, the reconciliation of herself and her daughter, a diagnosis of dissociative identity disorder, etc… We used to joke that “there’s always something, huh?! What next?!” Then we’d giggle and roll our eyes. We always try to keep the humor alive, even when we want nothing more than to breakdown and cry.

    I’ve always thought that “love” was weakness. I don’t mean the kind of love you feel for your family, but romantic love. Men only wanted to hurt me. Whether it be mental, spiritual, or physical, it didn’t matter. Men were capable of nothing more than inflicting pain and suffering, therefore to hell with them. I didn’t open up for women either, being that I just don’t swing that way and also I was convinced that all women are insane and weak because of the “need” to be loved. What a way to live, huh?!.......

    ReplyDelete
  9. ..........Recently I’ve made a huge stride in my life, being that I’ve let go of the fortress I’ve had around my heart. This happened while sitting in a psychologists office with my mom, lending support to Brenda. Brenda was explaining to her psychologist who we are, and why she asked us to join her. She said that we know her better than she knows herself, and that we’ve been around during all of her drama and “spells.” She wanted us there to clarify things that she didn’t remember, so the psychologist would better understand. After a while, the doctor said, “It seems that these women love you unconditionally.” ***I*** love someone unconditionally?! A mental health patient that I’m not related too?! Brenda said with tears in her eyes, “Yes, they have saved my life so many times, even they don’t know.” She proceeded to tell her several instances that shocked even myself, who used to pride herself on being a stone cold witch. (Again, what a way to live, huh?! Lol)

    Over the next few days I sat in my room contemplating what had been said, how Brenda “wormed” her way into my life against my wishes, how I’ve gotten through pain and heartache with a genuine smile on my face, found my way back on my path, and I had a real friend. She might be a little off her nut (as we tease), but because of her I’ve learned to forgive those who have wronged me, forgive myself for all the ways I’ve wronged myself and others, that not all mental patients are “him,” through tragedies like that of her husband and his doctor can come great change for the betterment of all, and that Love is NOT weakness. Not in any way. Men do not deliberately try to hurt me. Not all women are insane. I’ve learned to love Myself unconditionally. I owe it all to Spirit for forcing me to be friends with the “Crazy Lady” I call my best friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had God wink at me many times. I really wish I had taken a better account of them as time has passed, because there have been so many awesome things that God has done through people for me. One of the most memorable times was when I was going through a very hard financial time as a single mom of a new born, 5 year old and 3 year old. My husband left seeking greener pastures and wasn't paying child support. I was doing the best I could to make ends meet, but every month was such a struggle. My case was in the process of being worked on with the Attorney General, but anyone who knows anything about them, knows that it's a slow process. People were always doing nice things for me. I'd come home and have a gift card in my mail for the grocery store, or I'd come home and my sister would have stocked my freezer with food when I was gone. Someone bought me a home computer so that I could work from home. The list goes on and on. Things had come to a point though where I had exhausted all savings and it I didn't know what I was going to do. One night a lady from a church in my parents home town in West Texas called me and said she wanted to bring me something. She came over and gave me an envelope and a new Texas Tech outfit for my youngest baby. She told me as she teared up, that she believed in me just as some other people did too. That although what happened wasn't fair, they knew that God would see me threw this hard time. I didn't know what to say, but I knew there was a lot of money in there. After she left I opened the envelope and counted over $2000 in cash. Sometimes there just aren't words for how God winks at us. Through it all, He taught me the real value of not worrying about what we will eat or drink, or wear, but instead to trust HIM for ALL of our needs. He will supply. Matthew 6:34

    ReplyDelete