Monday, March 23, 2009

God's Gifts

What a week and what gifts God brought! I did all that I'd planned on doing and more. We spent time at Six Flags and the zoo. The girls had a blast at Six Flags and I cannot wait to take them back as they get older. I don't think I've laughed that much in years.  (or spent that much money on a single corn dog.)

Maddie lost another tooth and Avy learned to write her name (sort of). I think they both went through a growth spurt. After buying Maddie shoes, I was shocked to find that she nows wears a 3. ?! When did that happen? Probably after she began eating everything in sight. :) 

My time off was healing and rejuvenating. Well, all except for those 3 hours it took to actually get into the zoo, but the time I spent on the porch reading, drinking coffee and talking with those I love the most made up for it. 

We finally started going back to church. Its always hard to readjust to life - the new normal. New friends, new churches, new routines......we all really like this church and love the positive attitudes we walk out with each week. I have decided to join the church as they do a Daniel fast for the next 21 days. No meats, breads, processed foods, fried, sugar, preservatives. Water and protein shakes. In addition, I am doing another body cleanse. Since last year, I try to do this once every 6 months. What a difference I feel each time and how clear my mind feels afterwards. I'm excited about refocusing and re-centering myself through the fast. Unlike times before, I'm pretty confident that I can do this one. I'm guessing you have to be mentally, spiritually, and physically ready. If your not, then it doesn't work. 

Another thing I've added this week is my reading of The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. Some of you might remember that I read his most recent book A New Earth last year. Such a controversial book and criticized by many who haven't even read the book. However,  I love that all the things he mentions are things I knew, but didn't really put into practice. Especially now, I realize that if we are not present; if we spent too much time in our minds thinking about the past or the future, we are wasting the gift of the moment. 

With that thought, I've decided to share with you something that my biggest girl wrote yesterday after church. When I was finished, I began thanking God for such an insightful little girl. She is such an old soul, so deep and thoughtful. She grasps so many concepts that many kids her age (or mine) don't surrender to at all. 

What is a gift? God gave you one God-given talent. My God-given talent is art. Everybody has a talent. That is what's special about them. Everybody has a word for the talent that they get. My word is artistic. The other gifts are the ones you can just have fun with. Art calms me down. Maybe other talents can calm you down. Did you know that a talent can turn into a dream? Did you know that a talent can change your life if you just use it wisely? 

1 comment:

  1. Did she write all of that all by herself?? I am soooo impressed! I just want to hug her!! :)

    ReplyDelete